Friday, July 31, 2015

Journey to Asheville!

Two weeks ago we departed on our second annual friend vacation with our buds Crystal and Marc. This year we didn't want to drive too far, and we wanted to do lots of swimming. So we decided to go to Asheville, North Carolina. Travis and I went once for two days on our 2nd anniversary road trip and knew it was a pretty cool town.
Since we were only driving four hours we were able to get a late start. I think we left at 11 am on Saturday. Perfect!
We stopped for lunch at The Tomato Head in Knoxville, which is a favorite of ours. The Kepner Melt is INCREDIBLE. Also incredible, the illustrations in the menu looked just like us. See:
It's uncanny right?
Another hour and a half and we were through the Cherokee National Forest and into North Carolina!
We stayed in Waynesville, which is about 30 minutes away from downtown Asheville. Our cabin was part of a complex around Lake Junaluska. Look at how beautiful!
Weird poses always.
We saw a POSSUM on our way up the hill to our cabin. Which means he was probably sick because he didn't move at all when we drove by and they shouldn't be out during the day. Poor thing. He was cute though. I wanted to pick him up.
We rented through Air Bnb of course.This place is called "The Red Cabin" and was great! It actually had three bedrooms because we hoped our friend Thomas could come with us. But he was too busy with work. Wah.
The first night we drove into downtown to explore a little. We ate dinner at this place called Doc Chey's and it was amazing! Asheville is full of delicious places to eat.
I got the vegan Chinese lo mein. Mmmm, I want some more right now!
We did some browsing down the street and ended up searching for vegan candy at Mast General Store. Mary Janes! And Laffy Taffy! And these weird stiff licorice swirls that I can't get enough of.
Also, have you ever had peach NeHi? I love it!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I love peach Nehi!!! I try not to drink soda...but I would sneak one or two from a specialty soda shop in LA. Wouldn't you know that California's CRAZY laws make importing Nehi basically impossible because of supposed trace-lead content in the glass bottles... I'm excited to see the rest of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually live in Waynesville and work about a mile from Lake Junaluska. Come by and say hi next time :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...